Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Party for a thyroid...it ain't your grandma's party!

I am a bit overwhelmed as I write this tonight, or is it morning. My last to friends left about 30 minutes ago after praying for me. Thanks Susan and Jennifer. Tonight was a great going away party! The food, fellowship, laughter, the thyroid cakes (thanks Andi), the t-shirt(can't stop laughing Alex and Jess), were great, but the best part for me was each friend that emailed, called, or came tonight to walk with me, to say they are praying for me. I am so humbled by each one of you. I can't thank everyone enough for their
words of encouragement, prayers, and even poems (I'll post that later in this). I love each one of you, and thank my God for you being a part of my life!

Sometimes in these moments of trials in our lives, we feel all alone. We wish that people would respond in a certain way to our situation and when it doesn't happen we feel like we are not loved or cared for. I admit at times during this journey, I have felt alone. And as soon as I felt that way, God sent an angel, one of you precious friends, to write an email, dial me up on the phone, or even stop by. Tonight was a house full of angels, as well as my email box and facebook wall was full of messages from angels. I would love to tell you about each of them, but for time sake, as I probably should be in bed trying to sleep, I want to tell you about one in particular that was an unexpected blessing. About a month ago, a week before visiting the doctor, I met a young man on one of my trips to Guatemala. His name is Santiago. This young man was one of the most eager youth on the trip. He jumped in and loved everything we did with the kids, and they loved him. After returning to the states, I received and email from his mom that he had a great time and wanted to go back to Guatemala. The same church had another trip planned two weeks after his first trip, and we arranged it so he could go. While he was on the trip, the team was informed of my diagnosis, and they began to pray for me. The team returned home and within a day or two, I received an email from Santiago's mom. She wrote that Santiago told her about my diagnosis and Santiago wanted to pass on a message. He said, 'Tell him I love him, I miss him, and I will be praying that God makes him completely OK." I was floored! Here was a youth I met three weeks ago on a trip, and he has faith that God will make me ok. WOW! Then to top that off, he has been following the blog. He saw that I was having the party and his mom emailed me to say they would like to stop by. They both came and brought some wonderful food from their family restaurant, and they stayed for most of the time and visited with my friends and coworkers. I was humbled beyond my own belief! He walked in, gave me a hug and said 'I am praying for you,' and was like a part of my family. Santiago, you are an angel, and you have lifted me up! Thanks brother!

It is getting REALLY late now, so I want to say so much about the party, but that will have to wait. I have a poem to share with you that a life-long friend sent me today. I have been sharing it with whomever I can (sorry party folks, I was enjoying my time tonight, and I forgot to share it with you). Thanks Kristen! I will be enjoying this for some time indeed!

Ode to My Missing Thyroid

Finally, I've got to share the cake and the t-shirt!

Thanks Andi for making 2 thyroid cakes and cupcakes! They were awesome! Who knows, I may freeze it and wait a year and have an anniversary party... You are a wonderful friend! I love you!
















Thanks to Alex and Jessica for the t-shirt! This took me by surprise, no idea it was coming, and yes, I am wearing it to the hospital! And it was made even better that you put it in a Christmas bag!!! I love you guys!















Thank you to all of you who were not able to make it out. Thank you for your emails, texts, messages, and phone calls. You are all such great encourager's and angels to me! I love you all.

Now to bed. I'll try to write more before the hospital, if not, I will write when I am next able!

Blessings,
JC

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the cake and the t-shirt!! Praying for you as you have surgery....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and definitely in my prayers today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your party was awesome!! Praying for you. God is with you!!!

    ReplyDelete