Monday, November 2, 2009

Glowing like a neon light...


Well, today was radiation day. How exciting! I mean, I could plug in my refrigerator, laptop, and tv, and power them from the remnants of my thyroid. Who knows...maybe I could also be a night light at the local airport too. Anyway, I arrived at the hospital around 8am and checked in. The nurse called me back and they took a blood draw to see how my TSH levels, kidney's, and white blood cells were. Then back to the waiting room. About 1 1/2 hours later, they called me back for a consultation on the procedure, paperwork to sign, etc. Then they brought me to the nuclear doctor who went back through everything one more time. Then...radiation time. I had been under the impression that it was a drink, but instead it was a pill. The guy helping me sat me down, copied all my paperwork and gave me a copy. He left for a few minutes. I noticed that there were three cups of water on the counter next to me. He walks in with white jar about the size of a large can of facial cream. When he placed it on the table, it landed with a thud sound. It was a lead lined container and pretty heavy from what he said. For the size of the jar, I was surprised that it only had enough space to hold the single pill for my treatment. Along with the container, he also brought a Geiger counter. Yes...Geiger counter. Now I was thinking this was pretty cool. He removed the pill, actually he poured the pill from the container in to a cup and then handed me the cup. I took the pill and drank two cups of water. He then took the Geiger counter and starting at my neck, started to search up and down my chest for the location of the pill. You could hear the clicking noise like on tv shows when they use one. He then asked me to wait for another five minutes and then I could go. He handed me one more glass of water, used the Geiger one more time to see if it had reached my stomach. He stepped out, so I quickly took a snapshot with my camera phone.
He then showed me the way out, and I left wondering how would I explain my condition if I were to get in a wreck or get a speeding ticket..."I am sorry officer, but you need to step back from the window as I am emitting radiation waves." That would be a cool story if it had happened.

Once I got home, I started emailing, texting, and letting folks know the latest on treatment. Well, that's the gist of things for now. I'll try to keep the blog updated...better than I have in the past!

Blessings,
Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. How interesting and cool!!!! I hope that the treatment works perfectly and kills off any remaining cancer cells. I also hope that the week passes quickly for you and that it won't be too tough to be isolated at home. Thank goodness for the internet, right?

    Take care!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeremy! What a crazy experience! I've never heard of such a thing. Hope you've been able to stay pre-occupied the last 2 days. I don't know what I would do with that kind of time, but I'd hope that I'd use it well and not just sleep :) Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete