Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It is finished!

It is with much joy and celebration that I am able to share that I received a clean bill of health. The doctor says I can say I am cancer free. It was quite the wait from the week of treatment. After an additional blood test and a visit to the doctor, I won't have to see the endocrinologist for a good six months!

This whole experience has been an adventure. It is close to being a year since diagnosis, surgery, and recovery. It been six months since the big radiation, diet journey. Now knowing the cancer part is over, I really don't know what to say. My cousin called me shortly after I posted on facebook about the good news. He was excited to hear the news, and he asked me a very interesting question that caught my attention and made me think. He asked, 'What have you learned from this experience?' I didn't quite know how to answer that at first, but of course the cursory answers came out, like an appreciation for life, family, etc. But I have had time to think about that since he asked. I have realized how many people (friends, family and even strangers) have been and are praying for me. It is humbling to grasp the number of prayers that have been and are being said on my behalf. I have realized just how important my family is to me. I love each member of my nuclear and extended family as they have each played an important part in shaping the person that I am and the person I am becoming. I have realized how important my friends are in my life. The encouragement they are to me as they walked with me, cried with me, laughed with me, and even held me...I don't know words that can explain this. I have realized more than ever before how much my Savior, Jesus Christ, has done for me. My understanding of his presence and purpose in my life is genuinely indescribable. I have realized how precious life is, and that I need to live each moment with purpose, with joy, and as selfless as possible. There is so much more to say, but now is not the time.

I want to share a very special moment with you, so please forgive my ramblings. This past Sunday, I had the joy of being able to return to the camp that I worked with for twelve years. I don't know if I had written about camp before in this blog, but this is a good time to share it. Camp John Marc is the name of the camp, www.campjohnmarc.org. For those that knew my time at camp, it was my perfect job. I spent twelve years building relationships with children with varying illnesses and disabilities. I could wear shorts and t-shirts everyday to work!!! I don't know if it gets better than that. The week I was diagnosed was the usual week that I return to camp and visit. But of course, last year I didn't get to do that. One of my friends and former co-workers emailed me on Friday about helping with getting the kids on the bus to camp and to ride to camp as a bus buddy. For all the years I worked at camp, I had never done this, nor understood the 'mayhem' involved on that side of camp. We always greeted the buses and campers as they exited the buses, unloaded luggage and then vice -versa as the camper left. With it having almost been two years since I was at camp, I quickly replied 'YES' to the request. Sunday morning, I raced to late service at church, and left a little early so I could change clothes (shorts and t-shirt!) and headed to the hospital. I wasn't quite sure what my role was to be at the time, but once the campers were loaded, I was pleased to find out that I was getting to ride on the bus with the kids. It was an absolute joyful time!!! I was able to sing a few camp songs, talk to campers about activities, watch a movie with them, laugh, tell jokes, give kids a hard time, and kids give me a hard time, etc. It was so much fun to see the excitement and joy in their eyes and hear the plans they had for fun! Once we arrived at camp, the CJM staff came on board and started to assist the campers getting off the bus. This particular week was for children with spina bifida. At first, it was exciting to see the staff and volunteer cabin counselors yelling and cheering as the campers got off the bus. As the unloading progressed, I started to look outside and see the campers with their cabin mates high five-ing and laughing. It was then that I began to feel some emotions begin to rise. For twelve years, my perspective was from the counselor side. I was serving these children to encourage them and let them know they can do anything. they can be just like anybody else. On that bus, I sat on the other side of this perspective. I was finally seeing and feeling how these campers experienced life, even if only for a moment. It wasn't until going through this cancer experience that I saw the full circle of what the Camp John Marc experience was all about. I realized how much I missed this special place, these special people, these special kids. I understand with a new perspective the power that a committed community has in life. If you look back at the Israelite journey in the old testament, you see the focus of God's presence was in the community of the people. Festivals, celebrations, harvests, worship, all of these and more were experienced and called for by God to happen in community. That is what I felt in the twelve years at camp, and I really saw it Sunday at camp. What an awesome God we worship!!! I hope you will take the time to click on the link to camp and find out more about it. I am planning on volunteering next summer for a week to be a part of this special community. Won't you?

Blessings,
Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering why you left church early. Hee hee! By the way, you have always appreciated your friends. You are so good to keep up with folks when a lot of us just get too busy. I have always appreciated that about you. I've already told you, but congrats again on the cancer-free! Praise the Lord who is in control! - Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeremy,

    WHAT IS FINISHED?

    I would like to start by asking you two questions. One: Can you give an accurate definition of the phrase: "Lamb of God"?

    We all know that this is one of the names used for Jesus, like Messiah, Savior, Son of Man, or Christ. But exactly what is the importance of the name "Lamb of God"?

    And why is it important to me as a Catholic? The second question I would like to ask you is: Why the Catholic Church would offer The Holy Eucharist every day at every Mass throughout the world in over 3000 languages.

    What knowledge do they have that would make them feel compelled to do this for thousands of years? In answering this question, we'll see why the Catechism of the Catholic Church states that "The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christian life.'" (CC 1324)

    Continue> > >

    ReplyDelete