Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Diet Begins...

Sunday started the next stage in this saga with cancer. I have stopped taking my medication and started the No-Iodine Diet. Sounds good, eh? Well...it's quite the work to say the least. My mother was gracious enough to spend the weekend with my sister and nephew and try some of the recipes from the No-Iodine Diet. She reported one success and one failure. Oatmeal cookies, great. Muffins...very bad. I, too, have taken up some cooking attempts with this diet. It's amazing what common day foods contain iodine. I have cooked more in the past two weeks (and I am sure in the next 3 weeks) than I have in the last year. No eating out for three weeks, which isn't that bad. I can save some money. I have already learn that I don't read the directions all that well. Made a loaf of bread and misread the water content...too much water so I thought I will just add more flour and other ingredients. Next thing you know the dough was coming out of the machine. I grabbed a bunch of the dough and mad a dough ball. Closed the machine on the remaining dough and let it do its' thing. The next morning I pulled the loaf out and it was soaking wet, granted it was baked, but wet. Nasty!!! Tossed it and started another. Yesterday, I spent 3 hours making hummus. I guess you learn from experience... I cooked the full amount of garbanzo beans and it took 1 1/2 hours to boil it. I boiled so much water, that all of my windows fogged up and there was a fog in the house for a few hours after that. Great hummus though!

This diet does take a lot of preparations, and that is exhausting. Still working on the menu for lunch as I think ever day this week I will end up having a PB&J sandwich. The hummus and veggies definitely make up for the lack of cheese and meat! I must say that this diet does make you eat a bit more healthy as I can only have egg whites and only small portions of meat each day. This could be a good thing!

Three days down, eighteen more to go!

Great news, my sister saw had a test, and she does not have thyroid cancer!

Thanks for your continued prayers.

Blessings,
Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. My husband has kidney disease, and as animal protein is the hardest for the kidneys to process, I typically make at least one vegetarian meal a week. Cumin seems to be the magic spice that makes him feel as if he's eating meat, even when he's not. Just thought I'd let you know if you're having to be meat-free during this time.

    ReplyDelete